Thursday, September 8, 2011

Babes in Toy(less)land

That would be me. I'm toyless. Always have been. Don't always want to be.

I have friends that have them, and openly admit to having them and openly discuss having them and using them. I don't necessarily feel like I'm being left out of the conversation, but I do perhaps feel like I may be missing out on a little something-something when it comes to my solo sessions (oh c'mon...you know you do it too!).

And why haven't I grabbed the bull by the horns and gone in search of a toy of my very own? Well, you see, I'm too chicken shit to just wander into our local sex shop. Order online? Yeah, I'm convinced I'm going to be the poor sucker who gets the box on her doorstep labeled DILDO. I know I know, they all preach about discrete packaging....but what if something goes horribly wrong and THAT happens to me? I'd be mortified.

And the whole concept of toy shopping is intimidating. So many shapes, sizes, colors, sounds and funny names.....sensory overload! I have, however, been reading up on different toys, and how to go about procuring one of my very own. I came across a few great points, so here I am to share them with you...just in case there is someone else out there in the same toyless boat I'm in.

1) Find a store you like. The days of dimly lit, cavernous sex shops have gone by the wayside. Research it online. Familiarize yourself with their products: asking questions about that purple vibrator stands a good chance of being embarrassing (for you, not them) so get acquainted with their stuff first.

2) Decide what kind of stimulation you like. Most of the options out there fall into one of these categories: internal, external, dual. Most women need some external stimulation to orgasm so a dual may be a good first option.

3) Quality and Price. There is a wide array of options out there. Just know you don't have to break the bank to find a toy that makes you squeal. There are a few things to keep in mind, however: How quiet is the toy? (you don't want the roommates or the neighbours thinking you've suddenly taken a liking to late night woodworking projects); Does the toy come with a warranty? (yes, toys break. And the last thing you want is your toy breaking right before a killer orgasm); How is the toy powers? (is it battery operated? Does it plug into the wall? Is it rechargeable?). Figure out what would work best for you then go from there.

4) Have fun! Plan a solo date for you and your new toy. Pour yourself a glass of wine, and have fun!

This makes toy shopping seem slightly less daunting, though I can safely say I likely won't be venturing out on my own hunt any time soon (remember that thing about me being a chicken shit?). I'm thinking online will be the way to go for me, as soon as I get over that box-on-the-doorstep fear thing I've got going on.

Anyone else out there got any pointers for shopping for your first sex toy?

xoxo
L

3 comments:

  1. Host a Sex Toy Party! If that gives you the heebie jeebies, just contact them. Passion Parties comes right to mind ;) They could get a consultant to come over and take your order and deliver it directly to you! They are discreet. They deliver them in black bags!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't considered that to be an option. Perhaps something to ponder! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pointers? Hmm mine would be just to not be afraid. We're all human and we all have needs. Nobody knows your body better then you do. Why not get something that you know will make ya feel good.

    ReplyDelete